Thursday, September 11, 2008

Wizz Air

Budget Airlines.  Are they worth the aggro?

In an attempt to save some money we booked my in-laws on Wizz Air for their recent trip to the UK.  Other people we know have used them and assured us that they were OK.

Regrettably my father in law was taken ill shortly before the trip to the UK.  This is where the troubles began.

My wife flew out to Romania (extremely short notice flight arranged painlessly by BA) to see her father.  Regrettably he passed away.

We decided that her mother would come to the UK anyway and my wife would fly with her using her fathers ticket.  We called Wizz Air to make the necessary arrangements and were told that, regardless of the situation, they could not help and she would have to purchase another ticket.  I would have to email their customer relations office to get a refund of the unused ticket.  I tried calling and emailing their customer relations, but all I got was a standard response saying that they would get back to me eventually.

After some arguing, on the ticket line, we managed to get them to change a ticket to my wife's name so she could come home on it, but only after we paid £80.  Again we were told to contact customer relations.

Over the past month I have emailed them, I have tried to call them, I have even tried to Fax them, but with no response.

Finally today I get through to someone who tells me that the supervisor is not about and so she cannot check the other email address, but if I email to a new address they may be able to help me.

I will be sending a copy of the death certificate to them with details of what I want.  I am not holding my breath.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to see someone else having the same problems as I have. I had booked a flight in May, that I was unable to take due to a family member passing away. I then tried to contact the customer relations department of Wizzair to get confirmation that I didn't take the flight. So I emailed them with all of the details, plus a copy of the death certifate. I heard nothing.

I then rang customer services, and they told me that there was no record of my details, and to email again - giving me another email address. I did so - again sending all the details. Another month as passed with no reply.

I've rung customer service again today and they have told me to email it through again. I wouldn't accept that as an answer this time - and so the excuses were that there are no phones in that department (I asked to speak to someone in that department to find out why they were ignoring emails), that there were no managers of the call centre(I asked to speak to their manager since they were refusing to help me), no official complaints department or process (complaints go to the customer relations department, so what good is that), and just got a constant repeat of 'email the customer relations department'. The person I spoke to just didnt get it - why would I email the department again, when Ive had no response in the 2-3 months this has been going on?

I am absolutely furious with this company - I will never fly Wizzair again and am tempted to lodge an ombudsman complaint. Best of luck with your query - hope you have better results that I have.

Cosma said...

Well no luck so far. Time to start chasing on Monday!